What we're looking for
Startup Canada is looking for a Managing Director to support the organization’s growth into its next chapter! This opportunity offers a unique chance to work with a trusted, nationally and internationally recognized non-profit organization, delivering innovative support to Canada’s entrepreneurship community at a scaling juncture - expanding across every region, and industry in Canada. We have bold plans for our future, and we’re looking for a leader to support us in getting there!
We’re looking for a strong leader who thrives in a collaborative, transparent, and respectful environment, with ambitious goals, and a unique ability to manage many moving parts of the organization - from governance, to mentorship programs and community initiatives, to national communications campaigns, this role will touch every aspect of organization. We’re looking for a connector - someone who can manage the fine details, and the big picture, and enjoys managing multiple priorities simultaneously.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Experience working with the entrepreneurship and small-business community in Canada. A passion for supporting Canada’s entrepreneurship community is core to everything we do.
- Experience successfully managing a small to medium-sized organization or team. Our team culture is extremely important to us - we’re looking for someone who can live and breathe our values.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Managing Director is ultimately responsible for managing the program delivery, team, and operations of Startup Canada from end-to-end with the assistance from the Executive Team. The Managing Director is also responsible for input into and advice on strategic direction for Startup Canada.
Strategy & Operations
- Work with the Executive Team (CEO, Senior Advisor, and Director of Corporate and Government Relations) and staff to ensure that the Startup Canada mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and partnerships. This role bridges all functions of the organization.
- Develop an operating plan and execute the day to day requirements of the Startup Canada strategy to ensure all deliverables and KPIs are achieved on time and within budget for all stakeholders, sponsors, and the entrepreneurs we serve.
- Responsible for implementation and management of Startup Canada’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission (Startup Women, Startup Global, Startup Gov, Startup Communities, Digital Programs).
- Responsible for effective project administration of Startup Canada’s programs, including tracking budgets, plans, resources, and managing the Startup Canada Notion project management tool.
- Track organizational performance and KPIs against annual strategic priorities, and implement quarterly reporting measures.
- Ensure prudent financial stewardship and effective controls are taking place, ensuring all programming is conducted on time and on budget.
- Ensure the various parts of the organization are working in a unified way towards a common goal - and that the team is set up for success through efficiency!
- Establishes, improves and maintains cost-effective operations in compliance with federal, provincial and local laws and organizational bylaws.
Team & Culture
- Creates a positive work environment that supports our national team, focused on impact, collaboration, and results. Everyone at Startup Canada is a leader - we’re looking for someone who can support, and mentor (not micro-manage!)
- Sets priorities, and manages a small team of full-time staff and contractors including supporting hiring, managing performance and ensuring staff are empowered to deliver timely and impact-focused programming both independently and collaboratively.